29 January 2007

Canberra - Facts and fiction


Last five days I was in Canberra with my friends and I had a nice time hanging around everywhere in Canberra even though it was an official trip. I found some interesting stuff about Canberra when I spend my time over there..


I’d like to correct some people’s views of Australia's capital but these are some interesting stuff I noticed when I was there...

ACT locals don’t like traffic lights. I counted at least twenty roundabouts and 10 car's passed even if it's in RED.

The city has to be the greenest city in all of Australia - instead of token parks in between masses of buildings, Canberra has token buildings between masses of parks and bushland. I saw some car's number plate saying ‘Australia’s bush capital’ .

Their buses have stickers on the outside of windows that state (in all seriousness) ‘Do not enter the bus through windows’.

Locals remark they do have traffic jams - but when the lights go green, the jam is gone (I’m told they have recently started having real traffic jams due to increase in population).

Their bus stops are camouflaged as 70’s science fiction booths ( not all Bus stops only few of them).

They have an unusual amount of irish themed pubs for such a small population which seems to be too busy where you can't get in after 10 Pm.

The first couple of people I met told me that Canberrra is like Perth but much quieter. That concerns me given I thought Perth was quiet.

Everyone who I saw walking the streets of the city had Government ID cards on lanyards around their necks. I’m talking 3 out of every four people, no kidding ( Most of them working in Government sector).

Every place of importance needs to be named starting with the word ‘National’ (see National Library of Australia, National Gallery of Australia, National Museum of Australia, etc) or ‘Commonwealth’ (Commonwealth Place, Commonwealth Circle, Commonwealth Building, etc) - I expected to see a National Commonwealth Capital Street, but I was sadly unfulfilled.

There are 80 embassies within 5 km of Parliament House.

There is little graffiti or stenciling.

There are no international flights in or out of Canberra ( Really bad) .

Everyone is amazingly friendly - bus drivers, taxi drivers, random people in the street.

1 Comment:

  1. Thiru said...
    //‘Do not enter the bus through windows’.//
    thats really funny! Shud've been on the Indian buses!

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online