30 January 2007



After living outside India for nearly 2 years and 7 months and some odd days now, it is definitely a time for me to do a comprehensive analysis of what I have been through in past. Hence decided to dedicate a series of posts on the living experience here down under.

I arrived in this country like any other NRI flashing his teeth in search of a wonderful life ahead. Glorification was taught to us, Indians, by the rich NRI, who remit money at the count of lakhs in each and every bank account found in India. I was excited & thrilled to pouch at the opportunity.

No sooner than I arrived in this wonderful land, I was shown the door by my friend to find a life on my own. I came in search of Independence and Democracy, most importantly a career, I was given my share of it immediately. I found myself with 72 kgs of baggage on the road at midnight on a Sunday, with my grad school commencing just two days in time. A helping hand was given, I grabbed it with the most dubious smile ever given.

The first semester was an experience of lifetime. I experienced Snapshots from Chris Gardner life all 6 months . So I was well prepared expecting the worst danger possible. I had my own doubts if I would be able to succeed in this profession. My expectations were as usual souring high, not thinking about the delivery. I was fortunate enough not to get bowled over by the speeding ball when delivered. I got an insight of a different education system (Not that I went to my under-grad classes!). Wondered if it is was a research degree or coursework for long; later realizing I was sitting in the wrong lectures! Started waking up at 2pm in the morning to discover my assignments pending even after putting in zillion hours of work in it with my friend then realized my logic is totally wrong.

If school life was such, home stay was even better with nice friends unfortunately forced to leave the house due to some misunderstanding. But as the story goes of an usual desi who in the process of Cultural issues and Indianism, as termed, forgoes the best of opportunities in aid of a better future, and curses himself while thinking about those golden doorways again. Those late night parties followed with surprise assignment the next day at class was the best combo, even beating a 40 points in 2 quarter by Jordan.

One year flew faster than I thought it would. It left me under-prepared for the Project. My coach always say that in basketball third and fourth quarter are the toughest in Game. He didn't lie. It was the toughest in terms of academic vigorousness coupled with Social life. I am no Social animal, but certainly love the pleasure of a company. This proved to be the best chance to discover the circle & enhance my network. I met some fabulous people at university & outside university, giving an eventful finish to what it can be termed as a synchronized semester. But I found this semester to be far more advanced with some wonderful lectures.

I realised academic systems are different. Research was given more priority than spoon-feeding lectures. Even after immense paper submissions, the marks were allocated according to the in-depthness of the subject matter involved. In India it was about India, but in Australia it was not about Australia; rather about the World, may be this proved to be the biggest difference. Everything was large-scale and big-picture than country specificness. The best part about the whole experience was the design which suited poets and in-experienced students, synchronized with industry professionals & amazing lecturers. Knowledge transmission was fabulous. I grew myself, groomed and more work-ready.

At last the day came where I need to put full stop for my studies and to start thinking about my Job. Damn!! Life is really fast but again I was fortunate where I end up with Job. New Job, New life, New friends, New place and of course New goals - this is how I started my year 3. To be honest I enjoyed my life as student but now everything changed in different way. I have to think from square to decide something in my life.

This is life .. Lets enjoy .. Keep smiling..

4 Comments:

  1. Thiru said...
    you always treasure your past..! good account!
    crviswanath said...
    Hi Hari

    Good to see your blog. Whatever you have said its the fact and the truth . Good that you have learnt so many things and remember still a long way to go.

    Have a good time .
    adarsh said...
    Congrats and all the best for you future endeavours
    Santhosh said...
    Machi...Very good post...

    'My basketball coach" adds cherry on the cake

    Wanna know who;s that Phil Jackson/Pat Reily....(is it Surr, Sotta Rajan, Maninder Singh)

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online